This is how you can help today.
Our goal is to raise donations in order to drop-ship medical grade face shields to every hospital that needs them. Of course, any donation amount helps and the donate button allows you to enter whatever amount you choose. Each medical grade shield costs about $25 wholesale. It costs about $250k per state to get medical grade face shields to everyone that needs them. All donations are tax deductible, and the frontline nurses, doctors, and healthcare workers will benefit and stay healthy, which benefits you, your family, your friends, your employees, and everyone in your local community.
Does this work? Yes. We piloted this program in Bend, Oregon this week. We raised the required donations in 40 minutes from local companies and citizens – enough to immediately supply the required number of face shields directly to St. Charles Medical Center in Bend, Oregon which are now enroute.
There is no faster way.
Summary: ArmorShield.org is a non-profit, hyper-local, crowdsourced funding and distribution model with one mission: to deliver urgently-needed personal protective equipment (PPE) directly from the manufacturer to the hospitals. In short, we accept donations and immediately turn those donations into PPE that is drop-shipped overnight to your local hospital.
There is no faster way.
Details of the Problem:
- We all have a dangerous problem that threatens our families, friends, loved ones and employees: Your local hospital does not have enough protective equipment (PPE) for the frontline nurses, doctors and clinical staff. The situation is dire. They are unable to replenish because everything is out of stock. Tylenol is out of stock. Fentanyl is out of stock. Rubber bands are out of stock. Masks are out of stock. Gowns are out of stock. Nothing is getting through the supply chain and distribution networks — it’s a huge logjam.
- The beds and admissions at your local hospital are approaching or exceeding capacity from COVID patients, and it’s going to get a lot worse before it gets better and it’s going to persist for a long time. The need for medical grade face shields will last through the end of the year or beyond. You can help right now.
- If our frontline medical staff become infected with COVID because they cannot protect themselves due to lack of personal protective equipment (PPE), the situation in your town will be much worse for your families, friends, and employees- as no one will be able to receive the care they need, whether it’s COVID related, or due to other medical emergencies such as cardiac events, strokes, broken legs, or any other healthcare emergency.
- Procurement is slow and a mess given the crisis, and hospitals are facing significant shortages, and any available PPE is subject to price gouging from vendors trying to remain viable– they cannot secure enough products to sell so they jack up the prices on the ones that they do have.
Examples of recent price gouging:
- The CEO at a prominent hospital in California let me know that his current vendor is selling N95 masks for $5.95 each. Normal price: $0.52 (i.e. 12X the normal cost).
- Local event rental companies are renting tents, to be used by hospitals as triage tents in their parking lots, for 20X-30X the normal cost, because the event rental market has been destroyed as all their events have been canceled.
This type of price gouging for any remaining PPE leaves the hospitals with tough choices: Do they spend their already strained budget on the $5.95 masks or allocate it elsewhere, wait for the government, or keep trying to find reasonably priced solutions?
And it’s not just the money- it’s also the time- hospitals are overwhelmed fighting fires related to staffing, procurement, the unions, budgets and of course patient health- so we are attempting to help them solve the money and time issues involved in order to receive this one critical piece of equipment. And you can help by donating today.
ArmorShield.org is a 501(3c) (pending), grass roots, hyper agile effort to crowd fund the donation of medical grade face shields for all of the frontline hospital staff, at your local hospital, so we may drop ship the shields directly to the hospital with no middleman, markup, or time delay. You donate, and we secure the medical grade face shields direct from the manufacturer and they are drop shipped to your local hospital.
Each shield costs approximately $25.
How you can help- right now:
- Please share this with others in that may be able to donate.
- Please consider donating, or raising donations in your local community to fund the drop shipment to your local hospital. Most hospitals need 2x their bed count in shields.
A note about the face shields: We worked with the manufacturer and the CDC and Evergreen Hospital (the pandemic epicenter near Seattle) clinical staff to design the best shields for the purpose, in that they are durable, reusable, sanitizable and lightweight. Poorly designed or disposable face shield solutions lead to replenishment issues later in the pandemic. We made over 50 design adjustments in just 5 days, using an agile, hyper iterative process working directly with the nurses. Shields are critical PPE because they protect the workers but allow them to conserve consumable N95 masks which are now like gold and being reused until worn out. The shields have been submitted for Class 1 Medical Device certification by the FDA, we expect approval this week.
Key Features of the ArmorShield Face Shields:
- Lightweight design, only 4.2 oz. (this is really important: if the PPE is too heavy the nurses and doctors cannot wear them all shift, shields “get in the way”, and healthcare workers take them off to focus on patient care, putting them at much greater risk of infection)
- Submitted for FDA Class 1 Medical Device certification (pending).
- Already in use in surgery and other clinical facilities in Seattle.
- Machined head bracket with integrated aerosol protective hood to protect the face
- Fully assembled in under 1 minute with no tools (a key feature for full sanitization to avoid cross contamination and the risk of other patients or staff becoming infected)
- Full disassembly without tools for sterilization and re-use if needed
- One size fits all
- Durable for long-term use so will not need to be replaced during pandemic
- May be used with a sheik
- High-quality, non-proprietary components ensure long-term use if needed (one shipment of PPE must last the duration of the pandemic, so disposable or flimsy options are a poor strategy)
- Adjustable and replaceable “Croakie” style head strap
– comfortable enough to wear all day, and if required, may be replaced with bulk roll goods material readily available
- Quick-adjust head strap anchor points
- PVC foam forehead pad
– can be replaced if required with off-the-shelf material available at Home Depot, Amazon, etc.
- Face Shield: Optically-clear PETG Plastic. Replaceable and can be sterilized
- Head Harness: Machined ABS Plastic
- Designed and made in the United States of America
- Med Spec is the manufacturer of the shields.